[Accessibility] Updated requirements document (repost)

philsfree philsfree@free.fr
Sun Jan 23 09:59:01 PST 2005

Milan Zamazal has written :
> I'm reposting the last draft document, for easier reference:

Hi,

Just a few remarks about this nice document.

>   1. Design Criteria
>
>     The Common TTS Driver Interface requirements will be developed
>     within the following broad design criteria:
>
>     1.4. All language dependent functionality should be covered here, not
>       in applications.

Sure ? Could you please provide an example of what you mean by "language
dependent" (as we can get it differently on the point of view of our
respective native languages) ?

>     OPEN ISSUE:
>
>     - Should an application be able to determine if SHOULD HAVE and NICE
>       TO HAVE features are supported or not?

I think the driver shall answer reliably to such an information request.

>     2.5. OUTSIDE SCOPE: Higher level communication interfaces (like IPC
>       services or text protocols) to the speech synthesizer drivers.

Sorry to ask another basic question.
Which sort of text protocol do you think about ? Any example ?

>       Note: It is expected they will be implemented by particular
>       projects (gnome-speech, KTTSD, Speech Dispatcher) as wrappers
>       around the low-level communication interface defined below.

 >     4.9. SHOULD HAVE: A synthesizer should support notification of
 >       `mark' elements, and the application should be able to align
 >       these events with the synthesized audio.
 >

>     4.10. NICE TO HAVE: It would be nice if a synthesizer supported
>       "word started" and "word ended" events and allowed alignment of
>       the events similar to that in 4.8.

similar to that in 4.9

>       Rationale: This is useful to update cursor position as a displayed
>       text is spoken.
>
>     4.11. NICE TO HAVE: It would be nice if a synthesizer supported
>       timing information at the phoneme level and allowed alignment of
>       the events similar to that in 4.8.

similar to that in 4.9

>     4.15. OUTSIDE SCOPE: Interfacing software synthesis with audio
>       output.

Does FreeDesktop.org deal with this issue in another document ?

Thanks very much for all your work.

Best regards.
--
Phil Buch