[Accessibility] support for speech recognition in X and free desktops

Willie Walker William.Walker at Sun.COM
Wed Mar 8 06:28:33 PST 2006

I guess maybe an alternative question might be if there are plans for
the GPL-compatible Java implementations to better support the various
specifications.  In other words, I'm not aware of anything us
Sphinx-4 developers did to go out of our way to use any proprietary
Sun-only things in the JDK (or if there even are such things that we
could have used).

Sun spent a lot of money and time, as did other organizations such as
Mitsubishi, to give the world a free speech recognition engine under
a BSD-style license (i.e., read "BSD is freer than GPL").  Qualifying
the engine on all flavors of the Java platform was not one of our
goals.  Instead, we focused on developing a free, open, flexible
platform for speech recognition research and application
development.  With the exception of the JDK available for Mac OS X,
I've not tried running Sphinx-4 on any other Java platform
distribution other than the Sun JDK.

I'm assuming from your statement that you've tried using Sphinx-4
with something like gcj and that you have useful, productive
information about what is not working - please share that!  As a
means to help get the ball rolling for you and others to share
constructive ways to move forward, I've started a "Sphinx-4 on Kaffe,
GCJ, etc." thread on the Sphinx-4 forum:

    https://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?
thread_id=1457430&forum_id=382337

Please respond to this new Sphinx-4 forum thread to help provide a
positive focus of time and energy in this direction.

Thanks!

Will