A couple of patches to configure the private bin directory

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Tue Nov 1 13:41:35 PDT 2011

On Tue, 1 Nov 2011 08:45:25 +0000, José Fonseca <jose.r.fonseca at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've pushed the doc patch with just a tweak to leave it unchanged on
> windows (as it doesn't quite fit common practice there).

Thanks.

> So instead of a config.h I just passed the defines on command line.
> (Sure, command line will get long, but nobody really sees them
> nowadays, unless debugging build issues.)

I think with your version of this change, trying to run the GUI when
it's compiled-but-not-yet-installed will either fail or will run with
the most-recently-installed glxtrace.so (rather than the compiled
glxtrace.so). I think Zack mentioned earlier that he didn't want to
break that use case.

> BTW, for the "apitrace trace" implementation, please abstract
> functionality that can be shared with the gui into a source file in
> common (e.g., common/trace_trace.cpp, or something like that).  I'll
> eventually split "common" into two libraries -- one that is meant to
> be shared by wrapper DLLs, other by everything else, but I'll do that
> another time.

The bug I mention above is in code that will be shared here, I suppose,
so is probably easy for me to fix then.

Meanwhile, when looking for executables, (for either glxtrace.so or for
supporting apitrace sub-commands with external libraries), I'll need to
stat to look for file-exists and for file-is-executable. I don't have
any idea how to do those operations on Windows. Shall I prepare some
patches that just don't work on Windows? stubbed out perhaps? Or do you
want to contribute some new code to os:: first?

Meanwhile, does "namespace trace" really still "trace" from the
namespace of identifiers? (As usual, I'm C++-clueless.) That's annoying
(not to mention ironic). It shouldn't be necessary since namespaces are
always used with succeeding ':' characters in the source, right?

Anyway, I'll probably end up using something like this to avoid the
problem:

	static const Command * commands[] = {
	    &dump_command,
	    &trace_command,
	    &help_command,
	};

Maybe the capitalized namespace names were better?

-Carl

carl.d.worth at intel.com