A sketch of a command-line interface for apitrace

Arthur HUILLET arthur.huillet at free.fr
Tue Oct 25 13:12:06 PDT 2011

> > But I suspect that a numeric frequency will be of little or no use.
>
> The use I had in mind for this was to easily be able to trim down the
> number of images captured for a trace, (since there's often so much
> similarity in nearby frames).

I think there may be a real use for a framerate specification to apitrace. The use case I have in mind is that of an application that draws stuff very quickly (think the main menu of a game for example), and then draws a complex scene with a low framerate (think of the actual game). This will happen both when tracing games and scientific visualization applications - in this case I don't care about the menu/the parts where the application is really fast.
The objective is to eliminate those frames that are very similar and present in large numbers, which can be done by specifying e.g. "keep 5 frames per second at most".
I do realize it's more difficult to implement, however.

--
Greetings,
A. Huillet