[Authentication] Item 'type' property

Stef Walter stef-list at memberwebs.com
Fri Dec 11 14:17:19 PST 2009

I'd like to propose adding a new property to the Item interface called
'type'.

This would be a dotted string describing the type of item, so that
clients can display an appropriate icon. For example:

secret.generic
secret.note
secret.network
secret.web

Or something like that.

One big reason for this is for compatibility. gnome-keyring has an item
type, and a few types defined. I thought these could be wrapped up in a
specially named gkr:item-type attribute or something like that, and that
we could skip pass the whole issue

It turns out this hack doesn't work. It's hard to set the item type
independent of the attributes (which libgnome-keyring needs to do) if
it's a special attribute.

So to sumarize, I'd like to add this property for two reasons:

 * Simplify client display of secrets.
 * Compatibility with gnome-keyring.

What does everyone think?

Cheers,