[Authentication] Short introduction

Michael Leupold lemma at confuego.org
Wed Jul 15 01:25:33 PDT 2009

On Wednesday 15 July 2009 05:48:19 Brad Hards wrote:
> On Wednesday 15 July 2009 12:07:53 Stef Walter wrote:
> > An important thing to note from the outset is that this effort is
> > completely orthogonal to: ... certificates....
>
> <snip>
>
> > This secrets API is about applications having a way to store secrets
> > (ie: passwords) in a secure and simple manner, and then retrieve them
> > again later.
>
> [I've probably changed Stef's intent here, but its only for emphasis].
>
> Is X.509 stuff (e.g. client side certificates or keys) out-of-scope here?
> I'm not asking to make it in (or out) of scope, just looking for a
> clarification.

It currently is and should be. I believe in taking one step at a time and fear
that a certificate spec would provide a lot more controversy and thus take
longer to put together.

While client applications can use the secret store to encryptedly store
certificates that's of course not all there is to it.

Regards,
Michael