[Authentication] Proposal for a common secrets handling in web browsers

Michael Leupold lemma at confuego.org
Wed Jul 15 15:07:17 PDT 2009

On Wednesday 15 July 2009 22:46:54 Guillaume Martres wrote:

> > > The goal is that browsers share their secrets, so that you can switch
> > > browsers and still have access to all your secrets.
> >
> > Cool. I see so in addition to DefaultCollection there would be a
> > NetworkCollection (or BrowserCollection) property for the object path to
> > browser secrets? Interesting.
> >
> > Or do we need a way of marking collections and discovering which one
> > should be used for these well known purposes?
> >
> As there probably isn't going to be a lot of those cross-applications
> collections, being able to access them via property seem enough to me.

I agree with Guillaume (though I guess he meant object path). Having a second
alias objectpath seems enough for the moment unless we find more needs of that
kind (eg. I wouldn't want Evolution and KMail to share my IMAP account secrets
:-)). This paradigm only seems to apply to applications (some) users are
likely to switch often.

Regards,
Michael