[Authentication] Solution to prompting and async operations

leupold at leunet.de leupold at leunet.de
Mon Nov 2 13:58:21 PST 2009

Hi Stef,

Am Sonntag, 1. November 2009 02:31:05 schrieb Stef Walter:
> I've finally come up with a solution the whole set of problems to do
> with prompting and long running or asynchronous operations. I believe
> this covers every requirement. This wasn't an easy task.
>
>  * Operations that may require prompting can optionally return
>    the object path to a 'prompt object'.
>  * The Prompt() method of the prompt object will then be called
>    by the client application.
>  * Prompts objects can be dismissed with the Dismiss() method
>    of the prompt objects.
>  * Prompt objects have a 'Completed' signal which is fired when
>    the prompt and operation completes. A result can be returned.

Great idea. I think this design will work out nicely.

Just to get clear. What do you mean by "will optionally return"? Does this
mean that the methods will return a variant containing either a prompt object
or a "real" value?

> [...]
>
> I've pushed these changes, and am moving forward with implementation.
> Comments are still welcome, but we need to actually get this stuff done,
> so I hope that's okay.

Yes, I'm fine with that. I'm actually happy you decided to move on despite my
recent absentism.

Regards,
Michael