[Authentication] Clarification of algorithm: dh-ietf1024-aes128-cbc-pkcs7

Yaron Sheffer yaronf at gmx.com
Sun Dec 5 00:31:28 PST 2010

Hi Stef,

According to the RFC, the salt is not absolutely essential, but is
highly recommended. One way to get it is for one of the peers to
generate it (just a few random bytes) and send it during the DH exchange
- I haven't looked at the code so I don't know how difficult this might be.

Also note that the RFC mentions that the salt should be
integrity-protected ("public nonces exchanged and authenticated"). I
suppose that we are relying on the dbus infrastructure for source
authenticity and for traffic integrity, so this is not an issue in our case.

Thanks,
     Yaron