[avahi] Re: C implementation of avahi-publish-service

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.de
Wed Sep 7 05:10:20 PDT 2005

On Mon, 05.09.05 12:34, Ross Burton (ross at burtonini.com) wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-09-05 at 13:12 +0200, Sebastien Estienne wrote:
> > on a side note, i think it would be really usefull to have a package
> > of this strip down version of avahi (--disable-python --disable-dbus
> > --disable-pygtk) for servers that only want the avahi responder using
> > xml.services, a but like we have emacs21-nox package.
>
> The Ubuntu Breezy (and Debian Experimental) packages of Avahi are almost
> there: they only link to DBus.  In my opinion this is acceptable even
> for servers, but when cdbs supports multibuild I guess a minimal daemon
> would be easy enough.

A short addendum: when compiled with DBUS support this doesn't mean
that the dbus daemon is required to run to make use of
avahi-daemon. It is fine install avahi-daemon without the dbus daemon
with only libdbus installed.

We could even choose to make the DBUS stuff a DSO or something, which
can be loaded if requested in the configuration file. But I doubt that
this would be worth it.

Lennart Poettering; lennart [at] poettering [dot] de
ICQ# 11060553; GPG 0x1A015CC4; http://0pointer.de/lennart/