[avahi] Re: Name resolution problem

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.de
Wed Sep 7 06:16:57 PDT 2005

On Mon, 05.09.05 10:09, Ross Burton (ross at burtonini.com) wrote:

> I'm beginning to think this is a problem with my router, the two
> machines are on the same network but there is a bridge between them
> (Intel is on wireless, PPC on wired).  What is interesting is that
> various combinations of restarting avahi on both machines results in
> some things working.  If I start avahi locally first and then start it
> on remotely, the remote services are available.  If I then restart the
> local avahi, the remote services disappear.
>
> Does avahi do an initial broadcast in a different manner which would
> explain this behaviour?

No, they're all issued and treated the same way. I guess you need to
capture the mdns traffic with ethereal, so that I can track this down
further.

Running avahi-daemon with --debug should increase verbosity of
avahi-daemon, this might easy troubleshooting. (Though, admittedly,
that option doesn't change much)

Lennart Poettering; lennart [at] poettering [dot] de
ICQ# 11060553; GPG 0x1A015CC4; http://0pointer.de/lennart/