[avahi] No Search list for host-name lookup in resolv.conf written from avahi-dnsconfd

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sun Apr 2 06:00:28 PDT 2006

On Sat, 01.04.06 16:10, Claus Klein (claus.klein at arcormail.de) wrote:

> # my resolv.conf looks like that:
> P3linux:/usr/local/etc # cat /etc/resolv.conf
> nameserver 192.168.1.2
> nameserver 192.168.1.1
> nameserver 192.168.1.2
> nameserver 192.168.1.1
> P3linux:/usr/local/etc #
>
> My first question is : Why is there no search enttry?

Because avahi-dnsconfd doesn't know which domain to use as search
domain. And until recently nss-mdns didn't support search domains.

> Second why are there double entries, my name server is only
> available over one interface?

Avahi detected two interfaces and reports the entry for each of
them. I guess we could add some code here to filter duplicates from
the DNS server list, though.

I created a ticket for this:

http://avahi.org/ticket/27

> Perhaps, should there be too a damain name entry?

Hmm. Which MDNS entry would you want to use for this?

Lennart Poettering; lennart [at] poettering [dot] net
ICQ# 11060553; GPG 0x1A015CC4; http://0pointer.net/lennart/