[avahi] avahi-discover patch which add a connect button to start a client with a discovered web or ssh service

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Apr 7 06:23:04 PDT 2006

On Sun, 26.03.06 00:22, Claus Klein (claus.klein at arcormail.de) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have extented the python script with to buttons: connect and quit
>
> Too I have tried to prevent some warnings:
>
> PYTHONVER=2.4 pychecker avahi-discover.py >> avahi-discover.warn

This part looks fine to me.

However, I wonder if it makes that much sense to add the "connect"
button you suggest. Hardcoding external program in the Python code
doesn't look that good me. In addition Sebastien's
"service-discovery-applet" already features a subsystem for starting
external programs based on the service type. As far as I understood it
it is very flexible and not tied to any programming language, so I
wonder if you'd be willing to rework your patch to make use of the
same technique?

Sebastien, have you seen that Claus' patch contains some _snmp._tcp
specific work? Maybe you could add that specific part to s-d-a?

Thanks for the patch,

Lennart Poettering; lennart [at] poettering [dot] net
ICQ# 11060553; GPG 0x1A015CC4; http://0pointer.net/lennart/