[avahi] Regarding avahi and apt-proxy

Prashant Kumar prashkr at cse.iitk.ac.in
Sat Apr 29 04:43:26 PDT 2006

Hi All

Here I am pasting the text from ubuntu (Google) Summer of code page

Simple Apt Proxy
Even a small network of ubuntu machines would download ubuntu packages multiple times. a smart apt caching proxy server could avoid this, saving bandwidth. There already exists apt-proxy, but requires configuring on the server and clients. A simple-apt-proxy would contain a control panel to decide which sources get cached, and how much to cache. It could advertise its self by avahi (which would be detected by synaptic,update-manager etc)

 Details about apt-proxy  is available here
http://apt-proxy.sourceforge.net/

I am quite familiar with apt-proxy and network programming in general but I have no previous experience of working with avahi, could you people kindly guide me on what will be the amount of work involved and give some pointers about how to proceed.
Regards
Prashant
--

Prashant Kumar