[avahi] Strange MDNS response from Axis cameras

Marc Krochmal marc at apple.com
Tue Feb 7 10:03:18 PST 2006

Hi Iván,

It looks like the camera is retuning two IP addresses in the
response, and Avahi uses the last IP address returned.

Axis had to compromise because the preferred Zeroconf solution is to
only return the 169.254.x.x address when a DHCP server is not
configured on the network.  Unfortunately, since there's still many
poor customers in the world that don't have the benefits of Zeroconf,
these customers are required to manually type the camera's IP address
into their web browser, and the only way to know the camera's IP
address ahead of time is to assign a static IP from the factory in
the range 192.168.x.x and then record that IP in the user manual.
This doesn't work when you have two cameras on the network that both
use the same IP address and it doesn't work if your computer doesn't
have an IP address in the same 192.168.x.x subnet, which often
requires users to manually change their computer's IP address first,
which is a real pain.

The compromise Axis made was to additionally assign a 169.254.x.x
address to be used for Zeroconf, since Zeroconf devices know that
169.254.x.x addresses are link-local.  So it sounds like your
computer doesn't know about this address range.

This is all mentioned in Section 2.6.2 of RFC 3927.

<http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3927.txt>

Also, here's a Q&A that explains how to make this work on various
OSes including Linux.

<http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2004/qa1357.html>

Best Regards,

-Marc