[avahi] Installation on SuSE 10.0

Peter Onion Peter.Onion at btinternet.com
Sun Feb 19 15:07:18 PST 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-17 at 11:03 +0800, Trent Lloyd wrote:
> Yes, please do :)
>
> And if there is anything that can go into avahi to make this better, let us
> know!

Finally, here are my installation notes....

untar avahi-0.6.7 in /opt
cd /opt/avahi
./configure --disable-qt4 --disable-mono --disable-monodoc
--disable-python --enable-compat-howl
make
su
cp initscript/suse/avahi-daemon /etc/inint.d
cp avahi-daemon/avahi-dbus.conf /etc/dbus-1/system.d/
groupadd --system avahi
useradd --system -G avahi avahi
mkdir -p /usr/local/var/run/
kill -HUP `cat /var/run/dbus/pid`

run Yast and in System / System Services (Runlevel) disable the
existing entry for mdnsd and enable the entry for avahi-daemon.

Making /usr/local/var/run seems to be missing from the make install ?

I've also installed Lennart's nss-mdns.  I'm not sure it's strictly
needed as SuSE's resolver seems to know about using mdns for local
addresses, but it's slow as it send aIPv6 queries ans waits for replies
before even sending IPv4 queries.  I "removed" the exisiting
libnss_mdns* files/links from lib before installing nss-mdns.
Also I put mdns4 BEFORE dns in /etc/nsswitch.conf otherwise I was seeing
".local" queries 2escaping" out to my ISP's DNS ;-(

Peter