[avahi] Installation on SuSE 10.0

Peter Onion Peter.Onion at btinternet.com
Mon Feb 20 13:05:48 PST 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 20:17 +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Mon, 20.02.06 18:17, Peter Onion (Peter.Onion at btinternet.com) wrote:
>

> > On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 00:45 +0100, Sebastien Estienne wrote:
> >
> > > you could use "--sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var"
> > >
> > > so you won't need to copy initscripts and you'll have your avahi
> > > config files in /etc/
> > > and no need for the "mkdir -p /usr/local/var/run/"
> >
> > If these are the "correct" paths, then could they be made the default
> > values so that new users don't make the same mistake I made ?
>
> Because all autoconf apps work that way.

But all other autoconfs work !

> To deviate from the known behaviour might confuse even more people.

Having to provide non-default options mightconfiuse people too!

I think every other autoconf application I've installed either gets the
paths right by default without having to provide anything on the
configure command line or produces a working installation with the
defaults.   IMHO the avahi autoconf is borked if it can produce none
working installations !

> > > you forgot the make install somewhere
> >
> > OPSE ;-)
>
> Sorry, what does OPSE stand for?