[avahi] [stevenj@fftw.org: Re: [fwd] acx_pthread fixes for GCC shared/pthread inconsistency]

Sjoerd Simons sjoerd at luon.net
Sun May 28 04:07:56 PDT 2006

----- Forwarded message from "Steven G. Johnson" <stevenj at fftw.org> -----

Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 19:46:08 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Steven G. Johnson" <stevenj at fftw.org>
Subject: Re: [fwd] acx_pthread fixes for GCC shared/pthread inconsistency
To: Sjoerd Simons <sjoerd at spring.luon.net>
cc: Avahi ML <avahi at lists.freedesktop.org>, Peter Simons <simons at cryp.to>

>Steven, thanks for your reply. Avahi does actually use libtool, but

(Sorry, I was referring to ekg, the package in the Debian BTS.)

>still it fails to build on debian mips without the change to
>acx_pthread.. If i understand you correctly this is a bug in libtool
>then (or avahi's use of it) ?

Yes, libtool should be patched to handle -pthread properly...it's
libtool's job to figure out how flags need to be changed to deal with
-shared.

(In this case it seems like it's a bug in gcc/mips, honestly, but these
are the kinds of things that libtool has to work around.  You might report
it to the gcc BTS too, though, if you can reproduce it with the latest
gcc.)

Of course, if you just want to hack something to work with Debian or as a
short-term fix, do whatever you need.  As a general solution, however,
shared-library creation is simply not something that an autoconf macro can
deal with.

Steven

----- End forwarded message -----

--
My theology, briefly, is that the universe was dictated but not signed.
		-- Christopher Morley