[avahi] avahi-autoipd

Marc Krochmal marc at apple.com
Mon Sep 4 12:09:03 PDT 2006

On Sep 4, 2006, at 10:16 AM, Lennart Poettering wrote:

>> Apple has this page on mixed routable and ip4ll addresses:
>> http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2004/qa1357.html
>> I have no idea of the default routing settings of most of the linux
>> distributions, but it seems debian at least doesn't have the settings
>> for responding to a host with an ipv4ll address when a routable
>> address is set.  Do you have any plans for providing defaults/
>> guidance for these?
>
> I'll leave this up to the distributions.
>
> Honestly I believe that their claim "Most modern Linux distributions
> already include full IPv4 link-local support" is not true.

I'll take the blame for that.  I was the one who wrote that article
and I thought it was true.

> I see the point for adding these routing table entries,
> though. Although I am sure they're not without problems. Adding these
> rules will force the usage of ARP for all destinations that do not
> have an explicit route defined. This will cause ARP timeouts and might
> be a security hole. However the impact of this is not entirely clear
> to me.

These routes only take affect when you have no other routes
configured, so as long as you have a router address configured, these
entries will not be used.  Mac OS X ships with these routes by default
and I've never heard of any reported issues with them.

-Marc