[avahi] embedding avahi

chris mcharg chris at outtrack.org
Fri Sep 15 09:57:53 PDT 2006

Hi,

On 2006/09/14, at 22:51, Daniel S. Haischt wrote:

> Chris,
>
> just in case you are going to add some notes to the Wiki ...
>
> Lennart Poettering schrieb:
>>
>> If you have something final, could you please add a new item to our
>> list on http://avahi.org/wiki/Avah4users#DevicesMakinguseofAvahi?
>> (It's a wiki)

They are the Armadillo-200 Series... three fairly small arm9 cpu
based boards, all now shipping.

Armadillo-220: usb + serial + eth
Armadillo-230: serial + eth x 2
Armadillo-240: usb + vga + eth

I've added them to the wiki page.

Basically, the boards are for designed to provide a simple hardware
solution for larger/customized products and systems etc,  with our
customers doing the final software development for their projects.
We supply default/demo software configurations that make use of their
particular i/o, and have included Avahi in this.  This means that
while a lot of the time zeroconfig wont be required, all users will
be introduced to zeroconf and Avahi.  Avahi is included in the
uclinux-dist based source distribution, so I think there's a good
chance it will be picked up here and there.

> I would appreciate it, if you could provide infos about...
>
>  * which dns-sd service type you are publishing,
>  * for what the service is good for, if it's not
>    commonly known (i.e. what's your Avahi use case)

I though it would be better to note the details here rather than on
the wiki...

We have a simple management cgi included in the default images, and
so just publish http for that so it can be found by apple's ie plugin
etc.  Nothing really special, except as there's a good chance a
number of the same product will be on the same network at once, we
parse ifconfig at boot time for the mac address and include that in
the http service name in the static avahi service file (no dbus -> no
ipc) so it's nice and easy to find the right device when browsing.

For IPv4LL, we have zcip called from the busybox udhcpc scipt, and
also set the routes there too. (route add -net 169.254.0.0 ... should
be set for static ip too though)

They get close to passing the Apple bonjour test (I had to change
some route policies by hand as it's not quite possible to do it
automatically from the udhcpc script). avahi-autoipd should make
things a bit easier here.

Thats about it I think.