[avahi] multiple ethernet ports

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Aug 27 10:01:03 PDT 2007

On Mon, 27.08.07 09:52, Jeff Koftinoff (jeffk at jdkoftinoff.com) wrote:

> >> I have a computer with 4 ethernet ports.  I want each of the ethernet
> >> ports to get unique self assigned IP addresses, and I want avahi to
> >> respond to mDNS requests on each port.
> >>
> >> Is this possible?
> >
> > Yes. Avahi is perfectly capable of dealing with multihomed hosts.
> >
> > Lennart
> >

> Thank you for your response! Unfortunately, my extra network ports
> are firewire. I am using the eth1394 module.
>
> When I do:
> 	avahi-autoipd eth0
> I get:
> 	getsockname() returned invalid hardware address.
>
> FWIW mac osx functions properly for generating link-local addresses
> on firewire networks...
>
> I can dive in to try fix this if you wish.. Just point me in the
> right direction..

Hmm, this is very strange. Apparently eth1394 do not have proper
ethernet MAC addresses assigned? That specific code asks the kernel for
the MAC of the interface and the kernel returns something which
doesn't have the length 6. But ethernet MAC addresses are supposed to
have the length 6.

Could you please paste the output of "ip link" on you machine?

Thank you,