[avahi] multiple ethernet ports

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Aug 27 10:23:09 PDT 2007

On Mon, 27.08.07 10:11, Jeff Koftinoff (jeffk at jdkoftinoff.com) wrote:

> On 27-Aug-07, at 10:01 AM, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>
> > Hmm, this is very strange. Apparently eth1394 do not have proper
> > ethernet MAC addresses assigned? That specific code asks the kernel
> > for
> > the MAC of the interface and the kernel returns something which
> > doesn't have the length 6. But ethernet MAC addresses are supposed to
> > have the length 6.
> >
> > Could you please paste the output of "ip link" on you machine?
> >
> > Thank you,
> >
> > Lennart
> >

> Firewire uses 8 bytes for their MAC's:

Uh, oh. Could you please use wireshark and capture a little bit of the
ARP traffic MacOSX generates when using IPv4LL on these interfaces?
Just wondering if they include the full 8 byte MAC address in
there. If so, adding support for this to avahi-autoipd should be
relatively simple. Unfortunately I lack a fw cable. I'll try I can
find one somewhere.