[avahi] automatic ".local"?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Sun Feb 4 09:20:54 PST 2007

On Sat, 20.01.07 17:21, Bill Trost (trost at cloud.rain.com) wrote:

> Hi, all,

Hi!

> Does anyone know of a way to get the mdns library to automatically try using
> ".local" on unqualified host names? This would be similar to the "search"
> option in resolv.conf, only for mdns. I tried adding "search" there, to no
> avail, although that doesn't surprise me.

We had this functionality in older nss-mdns versions, but it is no
longer compiled in by default nowadays. It creates all sorts of
problems and the mDNS spec recommends not to use it this way.

If you really wanna use this functionality compile nss-mdns with
--enable-search-domains. YMMV. Just don't come running to me if it
formats your harddisk! ;-)

Lennart Poettering; lennart [at] poettering [dot] net
ICQ# 11060553; GPG 0x1A015CC4; http://0pointer.net/lennart/