[avahi] Announcing libavahi-ui

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Feb 8 06:24:55 PST 2007

On Thu, 08.02.07 14:04, Sjoerd Simons (sjoerd at luon.net) wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 01:40:56PM +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > I'd love to see this included in avahi-glib. Though a few things like
> > domain and record browsers would still need wrapping. (and what is
> > this "freeze" thing about in the entry group stuff?)
>
> Yeah, i only wrapped what i needed in Salut. The freeze thing in the group
> entry allows you to do do various changes to the entry group and
> pushing that in one go to avahi.
>
> So for salut at some point i need to update two TXT records ``atomically'',
> thus i freeze the group, change the entries and thaw it again causing all the
> changes to be pushed in one go.

Hmm, I don't think this is a good idea. Firstly, the commit() function
does something similar. (and does it the real way, i.e. it is indeed
atomic) Admittedly though, it works only once after creation of the entry
group. Secondly, Avahi accumulates multiple changes into a single
packet anyway. i.e. you have at least 50ms or so to pass your TXT
changes to Avahi and they will be sent out to the network as a single
packet.

Thus, I would prefer if the "freeze" stuff is dropped from your code
before it is merged into avahi-glib. It duplicates the functionality
of underlying APIs a little and is not strictly necesary. Let's keep
our APIs small and tender! ;-)

> > A while ago Davyd Madeley started a similar project which however he
> > stopped working on. Before we start merging your code into Avahi I'd
> > like to have his feedback on your work, since he is an experienced
> > GLib/Gtk hacker and obviously interested in this area.
>
> Any feedback is very much appreciated :)

I forgot to paste the proper URLs in my original mail:

http://davyd.livejournal.com/152749.html
http://oracle.bridgewayconsulting.com.au/~davyd/misc/main.c.html

Lennart Poettering; lennart [at] poettering [dot] net
ICQ# 11060553; GPG 0x1A015CC4; http://0pointer.net/lennart/