[avahi] Announcing libavahi-ui

Sjoerd Simons sjoerd at luon.net
Thu Feb 8 06:58:59 PST 2007

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 03:24:55PM +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Thu, 08.02.07 14:04, Sjoerd Simons (sjoerd at luon.net) wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 01:40:56PM +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > > I'd love to see this included in avahi-glib. Though a few things like
> > > domain and record browsers would still need wrapping. (and what is
> > > this "freeze" thing about in the entry group stuff?)
> >
> > Yeah, i only wrapped what i needed in Salut. The freeze thing in the group
> > entry allows you to do do various changes to the entry group and
> > pushing that in one go to avahi.
> >
> > So for salut at some point i need to update two TXT records ``atomically'',
> > thus i freeze the group, change the entries and thaw it again causing all the
> > changes to be pushed in one go.
>
> Hmm, I don't think this is a good idea. Firstly, the commit() function
> does something similar. (and does it the real way, i.e. it is indeed
> atomic) Admittedly though, it works only once after creation of the entry
> group. Secondly, Avahi accumulates multiple changes into a single
> packet anyway. i.e. you have at least 50ms or so to pass your TXT
> changes to Avahi and they will be sent out to the network as a single
> packet.

Yeah, the freeze and thaw stuff is purely for the Second case. While it's
great that avahi optimizes so changes are batched, freeze/thaw does actual give
you guarantees instead of assuming that you'll be fast enough (Oh and probably
saves some dbus round-trips too).

But well, for my usecases i can live with potential but very rare glitches. So i
don't want to argue about this too much :)

> > > A while ago Davyd Madeley started a similar project which however he
> > > stopped working on. Before we start merging your code into Avahi I'd
> > > like to have his feedback on your work, since he is an experienced
> > > GLib/Gtk hacker and obviously interested in this area.
> >
> > Any feedback is very much appreciated :)
>
> I forgot to paste the proper URLs in my original mail:
>
> http://davyd.livejournal.com/152749.html
> http://oracle.bridgewayconsulting.com.au/~davyd/misc/main.c.html

Ah this seems somewhat more high-level, while my code is really quite a thin
wrapper around avahi's native API. Both have their advantages and disadvantages
ofcourse.

Did you contact Davyd for feedback or ... ?

  Sjoerd
--
Death is Nature's way of recycling human beings.