[avahi] Avahi doesn't work in Ubuntu Edgy

Alessandro Morgantini gpz500 at technologist.com
Fri Mar 30 08:21:53 PDT 2007

Hi! I'm new in this mailing list.
I have a problem with my avahi installation.
My system is an Ubuntu Edgy (6.10) with last updates and avahi-daemon is
up and running, but I'm not able to see any service using avahi-browse
or avahi-discover commands. I obtain no output at all, in reality.

I tried to launch avahi-daemon with the "--debug" option from a
terminal. Confronting the output with the one from an other PC where
avahi is working (Ubuntu Dapper), I saw that my PC doesn't enumerate any
network interface:

My pc:

gpz500 at aspire:~$ sudo avahi-daemon --debug
Found user 'avahi' (UID 104) and group 'avahi' (GID 108).
Successfully dropped root privileges.
chroot.c: chroot() helper started
avahi-daemon 0.6.13 starting up.
Successfully called chroot().
Successfully dropped remaining capabilities.
chroot.c: chroot() helper got command 02
No service found in /etc/avahi/services.
Network interface enumeration completed.
Registering HINFO record with values 'I686'/'LINUX'.
Server startup complete. Host name is aspire.local. Local service cookie
is 4209183556.

The working pc:

elexa at it07pc202:~$ sudo avahi-daemon --debug
Found user 'avahi' (UID 125) and group 'avahi' (GID 125).
Successfully dropped root privileges.
chroot.c: chroot() helper started
avahi-daemon 0.6.10 starting up.
Successfully called chroot().
Successfully dropped remaining capabilities.
chroot.c: chroot() helper got command 02
No service found in /etc/avahi/services.
New relevant interface eth0.IPv4 for mDNS.
Joining mDNS multicast group on interface eth0.IPv4 with address
192.168.54.1.
Network interface enumeration completed.
Registering new address record for 192.168.54.1 on eth0.
Registering HINFO record with values 'I686'/'LINUX'.
Server startup complete. Host name is it07pc202.local. Local service
cookie is 1420237477.

In my PC I use only wifi networking (wlan0 interface), whereas eth0 is
present but not initialized.

There's a way I can try to solve my problem?
Thanks a lot, Alessandro