[avahi] virtual hosts

Bluejack bluejack at bluejack.com
Mon Nov 5 14:57:22 PST 2007

Ahoy,

I would have thought this would be a common enough question for the
faq, but I can't even find reference to it in the mailing list
archives. I'm probably searching wrong. Anyway, perhaps someone could
help me.

How do I publish an alias to a certain machine?

Ie., I have 'foo.local' which also needs to be known as 'bar.local' ...

Can avahi do this?

Nothing in the (rather primitive) docs suggest that the host-name
config entry can take multiple values;
and having the daemon publish an additional mapping through an entry
in the avahi hosts file doesn't seem to work.

Help?