[avahi] Porting Avahi to OpenBSD

Volker.Wiegand at t-online.de Volker.Wiegand at t-online.de
Mon Sep 24 07:07:35 PDT 2007

Hello Sebastien,

> I wrote the initial support for BSD (OsX, FreeBSD, OpenBSD and NetBSD)
> some years ago. I did for the fun as i'm not a BSD user at all, except
> OsX.

Okay, I see. I was under the impression that FreeBSD was fully
maintained, and OpenBSD needed "only" a bit of tweaking.

> As far as i remember osx, freebsd, and netbsd worked for basic things,
> i didn't test exotic setups like vlan or gateway as i didn't have the
> hardware to do so.

So even the ones with "distro=xxx" have not recently been in wide spread
production. I see.

> I had trouble with openbsd, avahi-daemon was running but no multicast
> traffic was generated.

Well, I am not even at that point - just being able to compile the
entire package under OpenBSD. I don't know yet whether it multicasts or
not.

> By the way, the poor status of the *BSD support in avahi is only a
> matter of "no maintainer", and we would be really happy if you were
> interested in being our BSD maintainer.

Okay, so politics is not an issue, good! Concerning *poor status* ... it
*looks* maintained, as if you had learned from the pros (like using
routing sockets for ARP :-)

Nevertheless, being *the* maintainer is a lot of responsibility (at
least if you take it seriously) and I'm not sure if I can deliver on
that promise, time wise. So I better be careful what I promise. Please
don't be disappointed if it takes a bit of time. I'll start with
installing one of OpenBSD, FreeBSD and NetBSD each on some spare PC's of
mine.

Regards
Volker