[avahi] Porting Avahi to OpenBSD

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Sep 25 10:03:09 PDT 2007

On Sat, 22.09.07 00:35, Volker.Wiegand at t-online.de (Volker.Wiegand at t-online.de) wrote:

> I wondered why OpenBSD is not supported fully until now. Is it (a) lack
> of a maintainer? or (b) technical reasons? or (c) political reasons? If
> (a) - I'd like to offer my service. If (b) - same. If (c) - I'll keep my
> hands off.

a)

I am the maintainer of Avahi. Since I only have access to Linux
machines, Linux is the only platform that is relevant for
releases. This means that I test my changes before releasing Avahi
only on Linux, and that it doesn't matter for me if Avahi compiles on
xBSD or not. However, I am happy to give the BSD people a week's time
or so before I release Avahi so that they can make sure that Avahi
works fine for them, too. Lurk on #avahi and I will ping you.

xBSD support came originally from sebest, and some stuff from Marcus
Clarke (?), very recently zml posted a bunch of very good patches for
FreeBSD support. I will will merge those before 0.6.22. If you want to
hack on porting this to OpenBSD, make sure to apply them first:

http://avahi.org/query?status=new&status=assigned&status=reopened&milestone=Avahi+0.6.22

I am happy to merge any portability patch that looks sane to and which
doesn't break the build on Linux.