[avahi] Wide area avahi versus bonjour

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Dec 11 06:43:54 PST 2008

On Fri, 05.12.08 13:54, Marc Manthey (marc at let.de) wrote:

> hello avahi peoples
>
> since i know that the code i want to use need to use bonjour / avahi :
> <http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/uia/>
> quote from the readme :
>
>  >  Unfortunately, Avahi doesn't yet implement all of the API
> functions UIA needs.
>
> now i have zwo choices, use bonjour, and  accept apples licence

Bonjour is nowadays licensed under the Apache license which is a valid
Free Software license.

> OR
>
> use AVAHI and implement the missing  wide area DNS feature.
> I did not see much differences so it seems its kust this RFC , that
> need to be implemented ? <http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2845.txt>
> So, i am not the coder od my project and my buddy don´t know much
> about "zeroconf  and avahi.
> could someone point me to a paper or tell me exactly whats been
> missing ?
> I will aks , and see how muht work it is.

Currently we implement wide-area DNS-SD only read-only (i.e. no
publishing). What is missing is the implementation of DNS Update and
DNS-LLQ. Since a couple of aeons Federico Lucifredi claims that he
has been working on that. I haven't seen a single line of code
however, hence I would assume that the project of adding proper
wide-area support to Avahi is up for grabs...

Or, Federico, is there any chance we'll see a patch soon?