[avahi] 2 davahi daemons on a multiple interface host

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Jan 10 15:25:58 PST 2008

On Wed, 09.01.08 16:08, Amba Giri (giri.amba at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hello

Hi!

> Is it possible to do this? that is run 2 avahi daemons on the same host but
> using different IPs? The FAQ recommends not having multiple mDNS stacks on a
> host.  But I want to double check with all of you as to whether this
> configuration is ok or not.

Avahi subscribes to network configuration changes and automatically
makes use of every interface an address that appears, and ceases using
them when they disappear. Avahi can deal pretty well with multi-homed
hosts, in fact support for this is available throughout the full
stack, from the lowest to the highest level and this has been that way
since the very beginning.

So, there's not really a need to run multiple instances on
the same machine. And secondly, you'd need some non-trivial patching
to make Avahi stop listening to those configuration changes.

I hope this helps,