[avahi] [ANNOUNCE] Avahi 0.6.23 released

Del Merritt del at alum.mit.edu
Fri Jul 18 07:59:46 PDT 2008

Avahi-novice question: the version of avahi that is formally supported
by my distribution (RHEL5) is at version 0.6.16.  What is considered
best practice if I want to be using the latest version of Avahi on a
given system?  Should I:

    * "yum remove avahi" and then build from the source tarball
    * wait for the provider to get to updating avahi
    * disable the system's version and then build/install the source
      tarball in parallel (/opt/blah or /usr/local/blah)

Or is there another option I've missed?  I'd kind of like the third
option, since ideally I could develop with the latest stuff and then try
it with the "formally distributed" stuff to see if anything breaks.

A Red Hat-specific question: will I need to remove/disable multiple
packages, or is there a one-command-does-it-all option?

Thanks!
-Del