[avahi] Avahi and Apache Virtual Hosts

Jeremy Visser jeremy.visser at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 03:50:00 PST 2008

On Fri, 2008-02-29 at 08:45 +0100, Xavier Cambar wrote:
> The JeOS station is called "JeOS". JeOS has many
> Virtual Hosts, say JeOS, JeOS1, JeOS2, and so on.
> But Avahi publishes (by default) only the JeOS hostname, for mDNS name
> resolution.
> I'd like Avahi to publish multiple hostnames so my Leopard workstation
> could resolve JeOS1, JeOS2, and the others.
>
> Is that feasible?

I imagine that would be the job of mod_dnssd, not Avahi. Looking at my
Avahi Discovery box, I can see a few of the various web servers running
in my house, and they have their own "TXT Machine Name" fields, which is
unrelated to the hostname. There is nothing stopping mod_dnssd from
being able to register one of these for each of your VirtualHosts --
just somebody needs to code it.

--
Jeremy Visser                                 http://jeremy.visser.name/

()                           ascii ribbon campaign — against HTML e-mail
/\                                               http://asciiribbon.org/