[avahi] accept(): Too many open files

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Mar 25 07:57:13 PDT 2008

On Thu, 20.03.08 22:56, Mark Edwards (mark at antsclimbtree.com) wrote:

> > Histroic versions of Avahi didn't close all open fds on startup. So it
> > maybe some program is leaking fds when starting Avahi? I remember some
> > initng users having a problem like that with initng leaking fds like
> > stupid or something like it.
>
> I don't see a huge amount of files in /proc/$(pidof avahi-daemon)/fd/
>
> I get a list like this:
>
> lr-x------ 1 root root 64 2008-03-20 22:49 0 -> /dev/null
> l-wx------ 1 root root 64 2008-03-20 22:49 1 -> /dev/null
> l-wx------ 1 root root 64 2008-03-20 22:49 10 -> pipe:[1192423]
> lrwx------ 1 root root 64 2008-03-20 22:49 11 -> socket:[1192424]
> lrwx------ 1 root root 64 2008-03-20 22:49 12 -> socket:[1192426]
> lrwx------ 1 root root 64 2008-03-20 22:49 13 -> socket:[1192428]
> lrwx------ 1 root root 64 2008-03-20 22:49 14 -> socket:[1192429]
> lrwx------ 1 root root 64 2008-03-20 22:49 15 -> socket:[1192430]
> l-wx------ 1 root root 64 2008-03-20 22:49 2 -> /dev/null
> lrwx------ 1 root root 64 2008-03-20 22:49 5 -> socket:[1192418]
> lrwx------ 1 root root 64 2008-03-20 22:49 6 -> socket:[1192420]
> lr-x------ 1 root root 64 2008-03-20 22:49 7 -> pipe:[1192422]
> l-wx------ 1 root root 64 2008-03-20 22:49 8 -> pipe:[1192422]
> lr-x------ 1 root root 64 2008-03-20 22:49 9 -> pipe:[1192423]
>
> I'm kind of at a loss as to what I'm looking for here.  Again, this
> is only happening at 4:00am each day, and the only thing I can see
> happening in particular at that point is a bunch of cron jobs
> occurring at the same time.

Hmm, maybe a couple of other daemons try to connect to Avahi at the
same time, and Avahi is configured to have only 30 fds around at the
same time? Does any of the other daemons running that might access
Avahi (cups, apache, ...) report a failure when contacting Avahi?

Is it possible that you you are running a log file reverse dns
resolution software that puts a high pressure on the NSS and thus
nss-mdns?

Please check the value of rlimit-nofile in
/etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf and try to increase it (300 perhaps)
and see if the issue goes away.