[avahi] Avahi and Apache VirtualHosts

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Mar 25 16:00:59 PDT 2008

On Sat, 23.02.08 10:55, Xavier Cambar (xcambar at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hi,
> I've recently been discovering the power of Avahi in a virtualized
> ubuntu JeOS environment, to have it communicate with its Leopard 'host'.
> I don't want to modify the name resolution services on my Mac, as the
> purpose of using a virtualized server is to avoid config changes into
> Leopard.
>
> Unfortunately, this constraint brings its own problem: As I set name-
> based Virtual hosts into Apache (in JeOS), I did not succeed to set
> multiple hostnames within Avahi for my virtualized station.
>
> In other words: The JeOS station is called "JeOS". JeOS has many
> Virtual Hosts, say JeOS, JeOS1, JeOS2, and so on.
> But Avahi publishes (by default) only the JeOS hostname, for mDNS name
> resolution.
> I'd like Avahi to publish multiple hostnames so my Leopard workstation
> could resolve JeOS1, JeOS2, and the others.
>
> Is that feasible?

Hmm? I am not sure why you might want to do this. You can safely
install multiple services via mod_dnssd that use different URLs on the
same host name.

If you want to define aliases for hostnames (i.e. CNAMES), than you
can easily write a program in python that registers those.

I'd also be happy to accept a patch for avahi proper that adds a file
/etc/avahi/aliases akin to /etc/avahi/hosts but only for defining
CNAME aliases for the local host.