[avahi] domain search path

Matt LaPlante cybrmatt at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 09:05:15 PDT 2009

Please excuse the noob nature of this question, but I didn't see it
covered in the FAQ.  I run a very mixed environment on my LAN, and
while I traditionally have used dynamic dns to deal with host lookups,
it's a definite pain to implement.  The good side of it was that (when
working) I could have my local zone in my search path and hit any host
by name from any application.  I've installed avahi to see if mDNS
could solve my hostname coordination problem across platforms in a
less monstrous way.  So far it seems to be working superbly, but I
don't like having to type .local in order to resolve a host.  No big
deal on occasion, but major overhead when done repeatedly!  Is there a
way to search the .local domain during lookups so i can just ssh
[hostname] and have it work?  I do *not* use a .local unicast domain.

Thanks
Matt