[avahi] Disappearing and reappearing service if a text is changed

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Jun 17 09:49:43 PDT 2009

On Wed, 17.06.09 18:07, Florian Erfurth (f.erfurth at reel-multimedia.com) wrote:

> >> Simple question: What should I do, so that Avahi sends IP of br0
> >> (192.168.7.120)?
> >>
> > The source address for UDP packets is chosen automatically by the
> > kernel as part of the routing table logic.
> >
> One question about that: Is such UDP packet sent only one time? Or twice
> if a device contains 2 addresses (eth1/br AND eth1:avah)?

There's no such thing as "eth1:avah". That's just a compat kludge for
legacy tools like ifconfig. As mentioned, use "ip addr" insetad of
ifconfig and it will show as a normal labeled address assigned to that
interface.

Avahi distuingishes interfaces by their ifindex, not by their addresses.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net