[avahi] Resolving many ( > 200 ) items seems to lead to apparent congestion in the dbus

Daniel Wynne daniel.wynne at mobotix.com
Fri Jun 26 09:04:15 PDT 2009

Hi Lennart!

After a short interrupt I am back in avahi-business ;-)

PLaying around a little bit with parameters I boiled it down to
AVAHI_CACHE_ENTRIES_MAX
OBJECTS_PER_CLIENT_MAX

These Parameters are slightly tight I think when it comes to bigger
networks i.e. more than 100 Services.

You said these limitations are implemented to avoid misuse, i.e.
DOS-Attacks.

Do you think it is possible in future releases of Avahi to loosen these
limitations a little bit, to enable more comprehensive usage of Avahi,
even for professional applications like ours ;-)
DOS Attacks are way above the limitations of 500, even way above 5000. I
think when talking about DOS we are in millions and above.

What do you say?

Kind Regards

Daniel