[avahi] foo => foo.local search path

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Jun 29 14:24:21 PDT 2009

On Sun, 28.06.09 09:23, Bill Moseley (moseley at hank.org) wrote:

> What I'd like is to be able to say "ssh foo" and have the resolver
> first search /etc/hosts ("files" in nsswitch.conf), then search for
> "foo.local", and then if that fails search for "foo.hank.org" via a
> normal dns lookup.

We used to support that. But I removed it because that cannot work
properly. The simple reason is that would make every name a potential
mDNS name which would then mean that we'd have to resolve every
hostname via mDNS first, which is not really useful however, since
resolving host names that don't exist with mDNS will result in long
timeout. Which hence means, resolving *any* name will take 2s or so.

I guess you need to accept that typing .local as suffix for all local
hostnames is the only viable option.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net