[avahi] foo => foo.local search path

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Mon Jun 29 17:19:22 PDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 2:24 PM, Lennart
Poettering<lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> We used to support that. But I removed it because that cannot work
> properly. The simple reason is that would make every name a potential
> mDNS name which would then mean that we'd have to resolve every
> hostname via mDNS first, which is not really useful however, since
> resolving host names that don't exist with mDNS will result in long
> timeout. Which hence means, resolving *any* name will take 2s or so.

Ok.

But, can you explain why mDNS would be first?  Wouldn't the typical
search order be for /etc/hosts, then DNS, and mDNS?
I guess I'm not getting why every DNS would take 2 seconds.  Wouldn't
that only be for failed lookups?

> I guess you need to accept that typing .local as suffix for all local
> hostnames is the only viable option.

Not the end of the world, true.  I should probably rename that machine
I have called "local", though, as typing local.local is a bit odd...

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org