[avahi] avahi scalability again

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri May 15 05:56:39 PDT 2009

On Fri, 15.05.09 14:11, Olivier R-D (o.r-d at laposte.net) wrote:

Heya,

> I am wondering about using avahi (for service discovery ) for an
> application, on one lan, but with potentially many computers (maybe 1000
> ) and especially many services to publish (maybe 10000). Have some of
> you tested avahi scalability at that level ?

mDNS has not been designed for such networks.

Apple did some scalability tests with mDNS. And IIRC they say it
should work up 200 hosts or so. I never did similar tests for Avahi,
but I'd assume that Avahi isn't too far off, given that we pass the
Bonjour compat test.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net