[avahi] avahi scalability again

Olivier R-D o.r-d at laposte.net
Mon May 18 09:23:57 PDT 2009

Robin Perkins wrote:

> Why so many services? If you are publishing that many services then
> surely you are misunderstanding how mDNS is meant to be used.
I was , for sure, considering a miss-use of mDNS :-), but you never know
sometimes a miss-use  offers new possibilities..

The
> protocol is intended so that you find other hosts on the network using
> the same 'service', something usually common to many hosts eg. web
> traffic or ftp traffic. If it is for a custom application
Yes it is a very specific industrial application with many small servers
that communicate together. I need a kind a yellow page service so that
those servers know who is online and what their type is. The traditional
way to do that is with a specialized server, and that is what I have
started to do , based on Ice (http://www.zeroc.com).

Olivier