[avahi] General Avahi usage questions

Jen Chitty JenChitty at vtech.ca
Mon Feb 8 09:03:45 PST 2010

> first question: I think I remember having the avahi-daemon running
> which assigned an ipv4 address on a new alias interface. when does
> this happen, when not?
> I also found this avahi-ipauto thingy, but it does not seem to be
> running for this avahi-ip4ll stuff to assign a 169.254.0.0/16
> adress
> -169.254.0.0/24 and 169.254.254.0/24 (if I remember right)

avahi-autoipd assigns an IPv4 link-local address in the 169.254/16 subnet.
The time at which avahi-autoipd runs depends upon your system's network
configuration.  Network interfaces can be configured to only use DHCP,
only use a static IP, or only use Avahi.  But sometimes systems are
configured to always run avahi-autoipd on an alias network interface
(e.g., on "eth0:avahi").

> 2nd question: how can I look up the ip addresses that are assigned
> to mylaptop.local (mylaptop should just be the local host name in
> /etc/hosts on 127.0.1.1 on a debian system, right?)

Run /sbin/ifconfig to find out how your network interfaces are configured.

I'll leave your other questions for someone else to answer (because I
don't know that much
about MDNS side of Avahi).

Good luck.

--JTC

Linus Lüssing <linus.luessing at web.de>
Sent by: avahi-bounces at lists.freedesktop.org
02/06/2010 09:46 AM
Please respond to Avahi ML

        cc:     (bcc: Jen Chitty/ENG/VTNCAN/VTECH)
        Subject:        [avahi] General Avahi usage questions

Hi!

I've recently been asking some questions on the irc channel. But
as they got a little longer, I thought it might be better to just
ask them here again:

---
hi guys. I was looking for a way to get pidgin/libpurple working
with avahi+ipv6. but then I realised, that I'm lacking some basic
knowledge about avahi :)

first question: I think I remember having the avahi-daemon running
which assigned an ipv4 address on a new alias interface. when does
this happen, when not?
I also found this avahi-ipauto thingy, but it does not seem to be
running for this avahi-ip4ll stuff to assign a 169.254.0.0/16
adress
-169.254.0.0/24 and 169.254.254.0/24 (if I remember right)

2nd question: how can I look up the ip addresses that are assigned
to mylaptop.local (mylaptop should just be the local host name in
/etc/hosts on 127.0.1.1 on a debian system, right?)

3rd question: when exactly is avahi-dnsconfd needed and why? Is my
assupmtion right, that I need this thing, if I want to use
applications that are not utilising avahi (for instance a normal
ping tool) and I want to reach mylaptop.local with that?

4th question: so an application that uses the libavahi can tell
the avahi-daemon to announce a certain service with the specified
port. which ip addresses would/should the avahi-daemon be
announcing then?

5th question: what has to be kept in mind when using avahi with
ipv4+ipv6 or ipv6 only? read this article in the german linux
maganzine  03/06. at the end it is saying that for ipv6 stateless
autoconfiguration, avahi-dnsconfd is necessary. sounds plausible
because of the lack of a dhcp server. but why is this not the case
for avahi with ipv4?
---

Cheers, Linus