[avahi] getaddrinfo() access to avahi problem

Ernesto Silva erniesilva at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 18:25:12 PST 2010

Hi,
I'm trying to use the .local domain over IPv6 via the avahi-daemon on Ubuntu
9.04 to share files via Samba.

Please tell me if this question is not for this list.
Here it is.....

I've connected 2 computers linked with a switch, that's my lab. In both of
them the eth0 interface has no IPv4 configured. They only have an automatic
IPv6 address in the local scope, something beginning with fe80::/64.

This are my test from computer-A:
1 - "ping6 -Ieth0 computer-B.local", work fine, it can resolve the IPv6
address of computer-B and ping-pong runs quite well.
2 - "getent hosts computer-B.local", works fine, I get the IPv6 address of
computer-B.
3 - "smbclient -L computer-B.local", DOESN'T WORK, it can't resolve
computer-B IPv6 address.

I've used wireshark, in case 1 it shows mdns queries for "AAAA" records
(which is correct for IPv6), in case 2 is the same thing.
In case 3 I see mdns queries for "A" records (which is correct for IPv4)
addresses, but nothing for IPv6.

I've posted this in the samba list, and someone told me they use
"getaddrinfo()" for name resolving, which I've seen in the samba code, so
(they say) the problem must be somewhere in the resolver.

My nsswitch.conf hosts line is:

hosts files mdns_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns

Any help, ideas, thoughts or sparks are welcome [?]

Best regards,
Ernesto Silva.