[avahi] daemon process timeout

Eric Wing ewmailing at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 00:44:44 PDT 2010

I am trying to get Avahi working on my DD-WRT based router. But when I
get as far as trying to start the avahi-daemon, I get the following
error message:
Timeout reached while wating for return value
Could not receive return value from daemon process.

The details are as follows:

I used some precompiled packages I found in the DD-WRT packages
section ( Downloads->others->packages). Avahi seems to be at version
0.6.1 here.

Using ipkg, I kept installing and running things until complaints
about missing files/libraries stopped. I ended up installing:
avahi-daemon
avahi-dnsconfd
libavahi
libdaemon
libexpat

I learned that invoking /jffs/etc/init.d/avahi-daemon start
required me to modify that script to pass the option
--file=/jffs/etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf because the conf file is not
in /etc.

Next, I got an error:
Invalid configuration key "enable-dbus" in group "server"

So I removed the line in the conf file:
enable-dbus=no

Again, I try:
/jffs/etc/init.d/avahi-daemon start

But this time, after a 10-20 second pause, I get the error message:
Timeout reached while wating for return value
Could not receive return value from daemon process.

So I am now lost and I am not sure what to try next. Does anybody have
any suggestions?

Thanks