[avahi] Only IPv6 services are visible

Phil Karn karn at philkarn.net
Fri Mar 12 22:36:50 PST 2010

On 3/11/2010 4:09 PM, Marc Heerdink wrote:

> Basically, the problem is that only the IPv6 services on the HTPC are
> visible to the laptop, while I'd like to use the IPv4 version (eg XBMC
> web server, SSH),

If you have the 'dig' command, try these two commands:

dig @224.0.0.251 -p 5353 ANY htpc.local
dig @ff02::fb -p 5353 ANY htpc.local

224.0.0.251 is the IPv4 multicast address for multicast DNS, and
ff02::fb is the IPv6 multicast address for multicast DNS. 5353 is the
UDP port number for mDNS.

Ideally, both commands should return every address record (IPv4 and
IPv6) for htpc.local. But avahi-daemon can be configured to return only
IPv4 addresses (A records) to IPv4 queries and only IPv6 addresses (AAAA
records) to IPv6 queries.

Ensure that the following options are set in /etc/avahi/avahi-daemon.conf:

use-ipv4=yes
use-ipv6=yes
publish-aaaa-on-ipv4=yes
publish-a-on-ipv6=yes