[avahi] Advertising multiple hostnames with avahi

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Mar 19 14:28:37 PDT 2010

On Fri, 12.03.10 09:21, Jeff Koftinoff (jeffk at jdkoftinoff.com) wrote:

> I want to use avahi in an embedded device. I'd like for avahi to advertise the device's manufacturer name and serial number as the host name of the device.  I also want the user to be able to enter in an alias for this device's host name. I want the device to be discoverable by both host names even though they would resolve to the same IP address.
>
> For instance, ACME Inc.,  has a device model number SX194J and the device's serial number is 3428472.  The device would always be accessible via the host name:
> 	acme-sx194j-3428472.local.
>
> The user purchases the device and via the front panel, enters in the alias name: 'camera-front-door'
>
> Now the device is also accessible as:
> 	camera-front-door.local.
>
> How do I configure avahi to do this?

mDNS host names are intended to be used for naming hosts, they are not
intended to encode auxiliary information.

Not sure what you are trying to do, but most likely you should simply
register an mDNS/DNS-SD service and include your auxialiary information
in its TXT data.

That said, avahi.hosts(5) might be interesting to you.

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net