[avahi] LLMNR support

Justin Maggard jmaggard10 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 18:11:42 PDT 2011

Hi,

I'm far from an Avahi expert, but I (any many others, I'm sure) would
like to see LLMNR support come to Avahi some time soon, especially
with IPv6 and Windows 7 constantly getting broader distribution.  I
located Sunil Ghai's avahi-llmnr tree on github, and noticed (1) it
doesn't compile, and (2) it's based on the 3-year-old Avahi 0.6.23.
I'm also wondering if review and and integration of the code was
delayed by issue (3) -- the formatting is a bit poor, and inconsistent
with the rest of Avahi.

So I've gone ahead and spent some time rectifying the three issues I
just mentioned, with the hope that this helps attract upstream
attention again.  I didn't review the code, except where required to
either compile or run avahi-daemon successfully.  However, it does
work for me, but I have done admittedly very little testing.  I have
attached a mega-patch to ticket #339 (http://avahi.org/ticket/339)
that should apply cleanly to current git master.  I hope this will be
helpful in moving things along.

-Justin