[avahi] minimal embedded mDNS responder

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Jun 14 13:08:20 PDT 2011

On Tue, 14.06.11 14:57, raghunathan.kailasanathan at wipro.com (raghunathan.kailasanathan at wipro.com) wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I require a minimal footprint mDNS responder on my embedded platform, enough
> to publish services and respond to queries.
>
> Going through the mailing lists it seems I just require the libavahi-core and
> libavahi-common plus a minimal server application that uses the libs (I think
> there is one in the examples). Are there any configure/compile-time flags by which
> I can minimize further the avahi core library size ?

Not really anything I was aware of. You can tweak the runtime memory
usage by playing around with AvahiServerConfig::n_cache_entries_max but
note that this way you might reduce the usefulness of your device in big networks.

> Any other caveats considering my target does not have MMU ?

Nothing really comes to mind.

examples/core-publish-service.c is an example for a tool using
libavahi-core for an embedded mDNS server.

Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.