[avahi] Record too large, cannot send

Harvey, Edward Edward.Harvey at analog.com
Mon Oct 3 13:08:27 PDT 2011

> From: avahi-bounces+edward.harvey=analog.com at lists.freedesktop.org
> [mailto:avahi-bounces+edward.harvey=analog.com at lists.freedesktop.org]
> On Behalf Of Harvey, Edward
>
> I tracked this down through the source code, and found the AvahiDnsPacket
> has a property called max_size, which gets set based on the system mtu.  So I
> changed the system mtu (tried increasing from 1500 to 1600) and restarting
> avahi-daemon and netatalk...
>
> The log message disappeared (No more avahi-daemon "Record too large,
> cannot send" appearing in the syslog) but the client still cannot see the
> server with 21 shares or more.  (Again, yes can browse afp:// but no, does
> not populate list via bonjour)
>
> So I'm hoping someone might have some more useful information or
> suggestions...

Would anybody else care to reproduce this bug?  It's surprising to me that I'm the first person in the multiverse trying to use more than 20 time machine clients on a single backup server...

Based on what I've experienced, I'm going to draw the conclusion that it is indeed a bug.  Even if I'm not going to work on it myself, I'd like to make sure it's reported to the proper authorities.  Is this mailing list the best place?  Is there a bug tracker somewhere?

Thanks...